Monday, August 3, 2009

Movie Review: Funny People














By now most of you have seen the preview/trailer to Funny People. If you haven't, allow me to give you a brief breakdown. Adam Sandler plays George Simmons, an extremely successful comedian who is diagnosed with a terminal illness. He takes a young comedian named Ira, played by Seth Rogen, and hires him as his personal assistant. Ira is ecstatic because George is one of his comedic idols. It is not too long before Ira discovers that George is a huge PRICK (that is phrasing it nicely). Fame has turned him into a self-indulgent, narcissistic ass. He has no real friends, has lost touch with his family, and betrayed the only woman he has ever loved. Ira urges George to reach out to these people in his time of need. In the midst of all the emotional healing George discovers he is in remission. Has being so close to death changed George for the better? I am begging you to watch the movie to find out.

I am a huge Adam Sandler fan; I will watch anything he is in. The comedies are always worth watching but what I truly relish are his dramatic performances. Not too many people flock to his dramas, and if you are one of those people please rethink it and netflix Punch Drunk Love (2002) and Reign Over Me (2007), my favorite of the two. In Reign Over Me Adam plays a widow who is in extreme denial over the loss of his wife and children; the film is moving and his performance is quietly haunting. Funny People is a dramedy, in the same vein as Spanglish, so it is not your typical Adam Sandler movie. Yes it's got the comedy in spades (the stand-up scenes are hilarious) but it also has heart and allows Adam to explore his dramatic range and I am all for it.

Funny People is reminiscent of the film Punchline (1988), starring Tom Hanks as a tortured comedian and Sally Fields as a bored housewife looking to morph into a great comic (definitely worth watching). The critics are taking the film to task for giving too in depth a glimpse into the stand up world. I found that aspect fascinating. I admire what Judd Apatow, the writer and director, put on screen. He is one director who can mix sensitivity, sex, and comedy effortlessly. Watch The 40-year old Virgin (2005) and Knocked Up (2007) if you don't believe me. I look forward to his evolving as a storyteller and hope he does not let the critics discourage him in tackling serious films.

Seth Rogen gave a different performance in this film. Instead of playing the self assured agro male he has played in recent films, Ira was an insecure, sensitive, sweet guy. I enjoyed seeing him in this role. It displayed his range and showed audiences that he is more than a go-to funny actor.

I do not want to leave the rest of the cast out in my praise. Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman, Leslie Mann, and Eric Bana were all funny and made up an amazing supporting cast. I could go on and on about the movie but I think it would be best if you all saw it for yourself. It is not a funny happy joyride, but it reminds us that even in our worst moments there is always room for laughter.










No comments:

Post a Comment