Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Claud's Picks: Fall Movie Preview Part I


Summer movie season has come and gone. Although I didn't get to the theater as much as I would have liked to, what I saw was good. Now the fall films are upon us, and I must say it is my favorite season weather and movie wise. I have compiled a little cheat sheet for all of you of films I am looking forward to seeing and would probably recommend. I split the films up into "specific" genres and two parts, as not to overload your brains. Some of the films may overlap genres but I am sure you will get the gist.


Date Movie/Chick Flicks:


Love Happens-9/18: starring Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart. Claud's take: Aaron Eckhart is a self help guru who can't heed his own advice. Looks like a nice love story with a solid pair of actors.


Fame-9/25: A remake of the classic movie with a whole slew of newcomers. Claud's take: I am probably going to see this on my own and come out pirouetting and serenading people.


New York, I Love You-10/16: Small films w/different directors (Mira Nair, Brett Ratner) and stars (Natalie Portman, Shia LaBeouf), all centering around New York. Claud's take: Looks like an independent release so I am not sure they will release in my neck of the woods but I will do my darndest to see it.


Whip It-10/9: starring Drew Barrymore and Ellen Page. Claud's take: Ellen Page is girl trying to rebel against her "toddler and tiara" type mom, so she joins a roller derby team and finds herself. Based on a true story and is Drew's directorial debut so I am definitely going out to support her.


Nine-11/25: starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, and Kate Hudson. Claud's take: Musical based on the Broadway play which is based on the film 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini. I dig musicals and this is directed by Rob Marshall, who directed Chicago, so it should be a fun to watch.


Comedies:


Extract-9/4: starring Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, and Mila Kunis. Claud's take: Mr. Bateman is the owner of an extract plant who deals with calamity in his plant and unhappiness in his life. I will watch anything from writer/director Mike Judge, the man behind Office Space, and he had the good sense to cast Jason Bateman. Hoping for good stuff with this one.


The Informant!-9/18: starring Matt Damon. Claud's take: This film is directed by Steven Soderbergh (Erin Brockovich, all the Ocean's films), so right off the bat I get a good feeling, and it stars Matt Damon as a whistle blower at an agricultural corporation. Would seem like this be a drama but they found a comedic spin and went for it. Also has Joel McHale from E!'s The Soup, and we all know he can bring the funny.


The Invention of Lying-9/25: starring Ricky Gervais and Jennifer Garner Claud's take: Ricky Gervais makes me laugh and in this film he stars as a man who invents "lying" in a world where everyone is brutally honest. "I want to go to there."


Couples Retreat-10/9: all-star comedy cast-Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Jason Bateman. Claud's take: Jason Bateman and Kristen Bell are a couple whose marriage is in trouble and they recruit their couple friends to join them on a retreat to save their marriage. Every time I watch the trailer I laugh my ass off. This is one I can't wait for.


Did You Hear About the Morgan's?-12/18: starring Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. Claud's take: Hugh and SJP star as a big city couple on the brink of divorce who witness a murder and must be put into the witness protection program. Of course they are planted somewhere foreign--Wyoming. I love Hugh Grant in romantic comedies so this should be fun to watch.


It's Complicated-12/25: starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin. Claud's take: A comedy from Nancy Myers (Something's Gotta Give), that involves a divorced couple, Meryl and Alec, who end up having an affair with each other, and Steve is the guy trying to woo the single Meryl. Nancy Myers knows how to write comedies for adults and this cast is gold. Christmas will be very funny this year.


That is my round up for now. I will post part II-which includes: family films, horror, blockbusters, and Oscar bait- in a few days. Peruse this list for now and remember to view responsibly :)



1 comment:

  1. Typographical error (Pursue) not Persue..though I'd let you know!

    ReplyDelete